Sunday 13 December 2020

Day 13 - The First Noel - Al Green

Back in 2010 I managed to blag a couple of tickets to a recording of the Jonathan Ross show. On the bill that night were Al Green - not singing sadly, but in full Reverend mode - actor Tom Hardy, some people from 'Glee' - who knows? - and the Scissor Sisters.

It's fair to say the good lady was most impressed by Tom Hardy while I was just in awe of being in the same space as Al Green. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "Wow! Al Green? I mean, AL GREEN! Can you believe it?"

Lady B: "He was dull but Tom Hardy? phwoarr"

Me: "Oh come on he was just rabbiting on about his 'craft' - but, seriously, Al Green?"

Lady B: "I didn't come here to see a vicar. But Tom Hardy I'd travel a long way to look at"

Me: "Eh? Al Green! Al - fecking - GREEN! 'Let's stay Together'? 'Tired of Being Alone'?

Lady B: "Who cares? But Tom Hardy... oh yes!"

This continued not only all the way home but raised its head regularly over the months and years and went the full distance whenever it did.

Now it seems a tad unfair to claim a victory by dint of being the last one standing, but rest assured if I could run upstairs with this fantastic, goosebump inducing track and play it to her now, it would be: 

"SEE? I told ya - Al Green!"

Still, at least I don't have to imagine what her reply would have been.



No comments:

Post a Comment