Monday 7 December 2020

Day 7 - Hey Skinny Santa - J.D. McPherson

Today, I scattered my parents ashes in the garden of the home they shared for 60 odd years. A small socially-distanced gathering of masked family and neighbours, I couldn't help but wonder what they would have made of the scene had they seen it.

My father passed away last November and I paid a tribute to him here last year when I posted a photo of him as Father Christmas at the local church where he served as Santa for many years. 

 Santa Bert
I mentioned he was something of a skinny Santa - although the kids didn't seem to mind - but didn't dedicate a song to him as there wasn't really anything Christmas-y that I could really associate with him.

A few days later one of my best friends sent me this song. It was too late for inclusion last year, but today seems a good day to post it.

J.D. McPherson sounds like he might be from the Golden Age of Rock 'n' Roll but Jonathan David - as his Mother knows him - was actually born the same year that the Clash released their first single (How old does that make you feel?) but records in a retro rockabilly 1950s style. 

This has real Bill Haley feel with a great sax break. I'm not sure my Dad would like it - his musical taste didn't move much beyond Classical and a bit of Sinatra - but I think he'd appreciate the sentiment. 

Oh yea, that Santa suit with the 32" waistline? I was wearing it on Friday night for a Zoom meeting!


No comments:

Post a Comment